A friendly reminder: if you take mass transit to the HML or carpool (three or more per car — honors system!), you’re entitled a 25% discount on book purchases!
Check out your mass transit options below. And in the meantime, “Read, Ride, and Relax!” (Catchy, isn’t it?)
From SF / East Bay
* BART to the Milbrae station.
* Take Caltrain to Diridon Station in San Jose.
* Take Monterey-Salinas Transit Bus #55 (Monterey-San Jose Express) to Monterey Transit Plaza.
* Take Monterey-Salinas Transit it Bus #22 (Big Sur) to the Nepenthe stop, which is 1/4 mile north of the Library.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The #22 Big Sur bus only runs on weekends from Labor Day to Memorial Day. However, beginning Memorial Day, May 25th, until Labor Day, September 7th, it runs seven days a week from Monterey to Big Sur. Check out the schedule here.
From the south
* This is a bit more challenging. From the Amtrak station in Salinas, take the #56 Salinas-Monterey bus to Monterey Transit Plaza.
* Pick up the Big Sur Bus (Line #22) when available – see Important Note above.
The 55 Salinas-Monterey and 48 Salinas (Amtrak station) bus lines also stop at the Monterey Regional Airport, which has multiple rental car options.
Other Ridesharing Options
Don’t forget sites like Zimride, CraigsList, and to leave a message on our Facebook account!