We are now fully booked for 2019.
We are taking reservations for 2020 and 2021 – please call 831.667.2574 or e-mail and ask for Magnus. It is smart to be out in good time because it does get booked up early.
The place is beautiful, it has a spirit all its own. Walking in for the first time, you easily feel transported, away from where you came and into, what many have said is, the “jewel” of the coast. For some pictures click here.
Weddings are by far the most common reason for a private event. We welcome any kind of private event however: Birthdays, your own film night, staff appreciation party and beyond. Call 831-667-2574 or e-mail.
Rental Fee | Wedding Basics | List of Friends
– The fee for up to 100 guests is $5000, with a $1000 booking fee. The balance is due no later than three weeks prior to the event. All guests are shuttled to and from the Library. (Ask us about our ‘elopement’ alternative @ $1200.00).
– The fee for up to 200 guests is $6000. The balance is due no later than three weeks prior to the event. If you have up to 200 guests we require that you rent port-a-potties and all of your guests are shuttled to and from the Library.
NOTE: This total price is for renting on a Saturday all other days please deduct $1000.00 from the total above.
The rental fee includes the following :
– Full-access to professional sound system
– 1 on-site Library staff making sure everything is running smoothly
– An incredible redwood grove to act as your playground
– Easy access for shuttle (by Big Sur standards). We’re located right on Highway 1, with no treacherous mountain roads.
– Due to the outdoor nature of the HML, we only book weddings between May 10 and October 10 to be safe.
– Dancing and amplified music (until 10 PM) is welcome.
– You can stay later but the volume needs to be lowered after 10 PM
– Parking: Arranging a shuttle for your guests is a requirement.
– Insurance: Proof of insurance ($1,000,000 liability) is required. Please contact a qualified insurance company for the insurance. Use insurance company certificate of insurance form. The Henry Miller Memorial Library must be named as added insured. If alcohol is served at the event a liquor endorsement of $1,000,000.00 must also be added to the form. (You can add us to your Home Insurance or use a place like Wedsafe
Hours and Staffing:
– The Library will open 10 AM for set-up. A minimum of one Library staff person will be available to help during the day.
– Prior to the event the Library grounds will get special attention.
– Two bathrooms are available and maintained throughout your rental.
– The sound system will be yours to use – speakers, microphones for speakers etc.. It’s a very high quality system and it’ll fill the space beautifully.
– Movie or slideshow: We can make it happen. We have a large screen and a state of the art projector; the charge is $300.00 extra for that service. We highly recommend it!
– What about the weather? We rarely have thick fog. And we very rarely have windy conditions. We do not allow tents on site.
– Lodging can be summed up in two words: Plan ahead! Check out nearby hotels and campgrounds. You don’t want your guests to have to drive to Monterey after your party! (The Big Sur Lodge, for the record, is the biggest, and most convenient hotel, especially for families. It’s about 4 miles north of here.)
– As for renting tables and chairs, check out A to Z Party Rentals in nearby Seaside. We have six 5 foot banquet tables at $10/ea. and four propane space heaters at $60/ea. for rent. We also have several other chairs and tables that are yours to use.
THE BUS: All inquiries regarding the bus can be directed to Nico Georis: email@example.com. Also visit this site for inspiration: milkywaybigsur.tumblr.com/
List of Friends
Mariah is a life-long resident and a neighbor here in Big Sur. When she works with you, she shares her deep knowledge and relationships with local restaurants, ceremony sites, bakeries, photographers, florists and more. Here at the Library we know her well.
Kate lives in a wild and remote location. She is devoted and dedicated and has delivered her florals across road closures, landslides, during forest fires, windstorms, and rainstorms. Keep in mind, though she’s often away from her desk, you’re never far from her thoughts.
If you want some very special drinks served do not miss Vanessa. Here is her site: www.spiritsandnature.com
Local beautiful rustic tables for rent.
Live Music courtesy of Songs Hot Box Harry Taught Us! https://facebook.com/songshotboxharrytaughtus
As local as it gets & a great party band! American country rock, traditional rock, and always open for cover song requests!
Photographs and other Service Professionals
Terry Way – an excellent photographer based in Santa Cruz.
The DeLauras are based in Big Sur and do photography and video worldwide. Check their site here: TheDeLauras.com