We are taking reservations for and 2021 and 2022 – please call 831.667.2574 or e-mail and ask for Magnus. At this time we especially recommend the elopement alternative! Smaller parties will be the norm for a while and what better place than under the redwoods for your intimate family and friends wedding!
It is smart to be out in good time, we book far in advance. This place is beautiful and it has a spirit all its own. Walking in for the first time, you easily feel transported, away from where you came and into, what many have said is, the “jewel” of the coast. For some pictures click here.
Weddings are by far the most common reason for a private event. We welcome any kind of private event however: Birthdays, Bar Mitzvah, Quinceañera, your own film night, private concert, staff party etc. Call 831-667-2574 or e-mail.
The fee for up to 100 guests is $5000, over 100 guests $6000. The ‘elopement’ alternative is $1200.00.
NOTE: This total price is for renting on a Saturday all other days please deduct $1000.00 from the total ‘Rental’ contract above.
‘Elopement’ may be a good alternative for a wedding in these days of social distancing. Smaller, outdoors, etc..
The rental fee includes the following :
– Full-access to professional sound system
– 1 on-site Library staff making sure everything is running smoothly
– An incredible redwood grove to act as your playground
– Easy access for shuttle (by Big Sur standards). We’re located right on Highway 1, with no treacherous mountain roads.
– 10 minute drive to many local campgrounds and hotels.
– Due to the outdoor nature of the HML, we book weddings between May 10 and October 10 to be safe. (we do make exceptions to this)
– Dancing and amplified music (until 10 PM) is welcome. You can stay later but the volume needs to be lowered after 10 PM
– Parking: Arranging a shuttle for your guests is a requirement if you plan on having more than 50 guests.
– Insurance: Proof of insurance ($1,000,000 liability) is required. Please contact a qualified insurance company for the insurance. Use insurance company certificate of insurance form. The Henry Miller Memorial Library must be named as added insured. If alcohol is served at the event a liquor endorsement of $1,000,000.00 must also be added to the form. (You can add us to your Home Insurance or use a place like Wedsafe)
Hours and Staffing:
– The Library will open 10 AM for set-up. A minimum of one Library staff person will be available to help during the day.
– Prior to the event the Library grounds will get special attention.
– Two bathrooms are available and maintained throughout your rental.
– The sound system will be yours to use – speakers, microphones for speakers etc.. It’s a very high quality system and it’ll fill the space beautifully.
Movie or slideshow:
– We can make it happen. We have a large screen and a state of the art projector; the charge is $300.00 extra for that service. We highly recommend it!
– What about the weather? We rarely have thick fog. And we very rarely have windy conditions. We do not allow tents on site.
– Lodging can be summed up in two words: Plan ahead! Check out nearby hotels and campgrounds. You don’t want your guests to have to drive to Monterey after your party! (The Big Sur Lodge, for the record, is the biggest, and most convenient hotel, especially for families. It’s about 4 miles north of here.)
– As for renting tables and chairs, check out A to Z Party Rentals in nearby Seaside. We have six 5 foot banquet tables at $10/ea., 90 white folding chairs at $2/ea. and four propane space heaters at $60/ea. for rent. We also have several other chairs and tables that are yours to use.
Planning, catering and coordination:
Our preferred planning and catering service:
If you want some very special drinks served Do Not miss engaging Vanessa:
Her site: www.spiritsandnature.com
Photography and other Service Professionals
TerryWay – an excellent photographer based in Santa Cruz.
The DeLauras are based in Big Sur and do photography and video worldwide. Check their site here: The DeLauras.com